Advance planning is essential when there is a fire. All faculty should review fire safety procedures with students during course orientation.
It is important that all faculty, staff and students:
- Know the location of fire extinguishers and fire alarms in your area (if any) ahead of time and how to use them. Fire alarms are usually located at or near the exit. If you have not had fire extinguisher training and want to be trained, call the Physical Plant 918-343-7818.
- Be familiar with at least TWO fire exits in your area in case one is blocked or unusable.
- Refer to General Building Evacuation for detailed procedures.
Upon Discovery of a Small Fire
(about the size of a basketball):
- First call 911 and then notify RSU Police Department at 918-343-7624.
- Pull the nearest fire alarm (if available in your building). Give a verbal alarm to others in the area if a fire alarm is not available.
- If you have had fire extinguisher training, remove the fire extinguisher from the wall or bracket and remember PASS:
- Pull the pin (remember - you must pull out the pin to discharge the fire extinguisher).
- Aim the nozzle at the base of the flames 8 to 10 feet from the fire.
- Squeeze the trigger.
- Sweep the nozzle back and forth across the base of the flames.
Upon Discovery of a Large Fire:
- Call 911 and 343-7624 to reach the RSU Police Department.
- Activate the fire alarm and give verbal alarm to others. Fire alarms are generally located near the exits.
- Evacuate the building using the general building evacuation plan.
- Exit using the stairways only. DO NOT USE ELEVATORS.
- Close all doors leading to the main hallways to prevent further spread of the fire. NEVER prop stairwell doors open.
- Once outside move to the predetermined emergency assembly area.
- Keep roadways and walkways clear for emergency vehicles. Remain upwind from smoke and fumes.
- Wait for further instructions from Fire Department or RSU Police Department.
DO NOT RE-ENTER THE BUILDING UNTIL THE BUILDING HAS BEEN CLEARED BY THE FIRE DEPARTMENT.