OKLAHOMA MILITARY ACADEMY
Young boys arrived at the Oklahoma Military Academy to live to learn and to learn to live. They left as young men. The Oklahoma Military Academy Museum tells the story of the more than 10,000 cadets who attended from 1919 to 1971.The museum collects, preserves, and exhibits items relevant to the school’s history including a recreated typical cadet room and a bust of Lt. Gen. William E. Potts who is the highest-ranking alumnus of OMA. OMA created a proud heritage having served the state and nation for 52 years.
More than 2,500 OMA graduates served in the United States Armed Forces in World War II, the Korean War, and the Vietnam conflict. More than 100 OMA cadets gave their lives for their country. The Oklahoma Military Academy Museum pays tribute to the young men who attended this great institution.
In its day, OMA was hailed as the West Point of the Southwest. OMA was a cavalry school until the mid-1940s when tanks arrived. During this time OMA fielded strong polo teams. The legendary Will Rogers was a strong supporter of OMA.
The Lone Cadet stands in front of the flagpole at Rogers State University, which evolved from OMA, as a memorial to those cadets who gave their lives in military service. Many cadets have been recognized as Distinguished Alumni including acclaimed western author Matt Braun, movie and television actor Dale Robertson, and numerous cadets who had successful military careers including several general officers.
Museum Conference Room
The Museum Conference Room is used for OMA Alumni Association board meetings and museum committee meetings. In addition, the conference room is used by RSU faculty and staff members and is available for use by local organizations.
The OMA Museum is located on the Rogers State University campus at 1701 W. Will Rogers Blvd. in Claremore, Oklahoma. It occupies the second floor of Meyer Hall, which also houses RSU’s executive offices on the first floor. Meyer Hall is the second building on the left when entering the campus.
The building was originally named Maurice Meyer Barracks in honor of Sergeant Maurice Meyer who was killed by German shrapnel in World War I. The building is listed on the National Register of Historic Places. The Will Rogers Memorial is located across the street.