Advising/Retention Specialist – School of Liberal Arts
The School of Liberal Arts at Rogers State University is accepting applications for an Advising/Retention Specialist. The qualified candidate will interview and advise students regarding information, procedures, and academic requirements of a specific program or major within the School. The Advising/Retention Specialist will also participate in the Early Alert Retention Program, and recruitment activities.
- Evaluate transfer transcripts from other academic institutions for equivalencies and application to degree program(s) in consultation with department heads (DH).
- Conduct general education advising of students, providing guidance in course selection in keeping with the student's interests, values, and abilities.
- Complete course substitution forms as required for submission to the registrar.
- In consultation with Administrative Assistants (AA), assign students to faculty advisors.
- Prepare advising materials, such as student information and advising guides.
- Identify high attrition courses and develop options to mediate.
- Develop tutoring opportunities as required to address areas of academic deficiencies.
- Develop Supplemental Instruction Program for targeted courses.
- Provide opportunities for academic enhancement (e.g., skills sessions, test preparation).
- Develop peer to peer tutoring program.
- Identify and monitor students who are on academic probation.
- Help advisors maintain academic forms such as electronic degree plan, change of major, advanced standing forms; document all pertinent student information and collect and update advisee files each semester.
- Monitor the School of Liberal Arts computer lab.
- Review graduation applications after the advisor submits and the DH approves, before review and approval by the dean.
Knowledge and Skills:
- Knowledge of advising, retention, academic tutoring and proficient in Microsoft Word and Excel
- Bachelor's degree in a major aligned with one of the disciplines of the Liberal Arts.
To apply, submit the following:
No interviews will be scheduled until a complete application packet has been received by:
Rogers State University
Attn: Human Resources
1701 W. Will Rogers Blvd.
Claremore, OK 74017
Review of candidates will begin immediately and continue until the position is filled. EOE/AA.