THE YEAR IS 1909
- Henry Ford rolls out his "car for the masses": The Model T - Advertised price: $ 995
- The average life expectancy is 47 years.
- Only 14 percent of homes in the US have a bathtub.
- Only 8 percent of homes have a telephone.
- There are only 8,000 cars and only 144 miles of paved roads though out the entire country.
- The maximum speed limit in most cities is 10 mph--the 'prancing speed' of a horse-drawn carriage.
- The tallest structure in the world is the Eiffel Tower.
- The average wage in 1909 is 22 cents per hour. The average worker makes between $200 and $400 per year.
- A competent accountant could expect to earn up to $2,000 per year; a dentist $2,500 per year, a veterinarian between $1,500 - $4,000 per year, and a mechanical engineer about $5,000 per year.
- More than 95 percent of all births take place at HOME .
- Ninety percent of all doctors have NO COLLEGE EDUCATION! Instead, they attend so-called medical schools, many of which are condemned in the press AND by government as substandard.
- Sugar costs four cents a pound.
- Eggs are fourteen cents a dozen.
- Coffee is fifteen cents per pound.
- Most women only wash their hair once a month, and use Borax or egg yolks for shampoo.
- The five leading causes of death are: 1. Pneumonia and influenza 2. Tuberculosis
4. Heart disease
- The American flag has 45 stars.
- The population of Las Vegas, NV is only 30 !!!! (It is a switching depot for transcontinental railroad routes)
- There was no Mother's Day or Father's Day.
- Two out of every 10 adults cannot read or write. Only 6 percent of all Americans have graduated from high school.
- Crossword puzzles, canned beer, and ice tea have not been invented yet.
- Marijuana, heroin, and morphine are all available over the counter at the local corner drugstore. Pharmacists say: 'Heroin clears the complexion, gives buoyancy to the mind, regulates the stomach and bowels, and is in fact, a perfect guardian of health.'
- Eighteen percent of households have at least one full-time servant or domestic help.
- There are some 230 reported murders in the ENTIRE USA.
Compiled by Marisa Littlefield and Steve Schnitzer, Volunteer