Department of Psychology, Sociology & Criminal Justice
Dr. Johnny Mark Kirk
Preparatory Hall, Room 307
Faculty Advisor: Community Counseling and Psychology Student Association (CCPSA)
Ph.D., Educational Psychology (Research, Evaluation, Measurement and Statistics)
Oklahoma State University, Stillwater/Tulsa OK
M.H.R. (Master of Human Relations)
University of Oklahoma, Norman/Tulsa OK
B.S., Psychology/Sociology Option
Rogers State University, Claremore OK
2011-Present, Assistant Professor
Rogers State University, Claremore, OK
- Quantitative Analysis, Research Methods, Substance Abuse Courses, Counseling and Psychology Courses, Online and in-class formats.
Tulsa Community College
- Elementary Statistics, Research Methods, On campus and online sections
2007-2010, Tulsa County Drug Court Coordinator
- Coordinated the largest co occurring docket in Oklahoma, Provided expert testimony in Court hearings, Created an outcome analysis for Tulsa County Advisory Board
Family and Children’s Services, Tulsa, OK
- Facilitate service delivery between District Court, District Attorney and Service Providers; Conduct comprehensive Psychological assessments; Designed/implemented curriculum to improve retention of disconnected participants.
Tulsa Rightway Medical, Tulsa, OK
- Ensured compliance to Federal and State regulation; Implemented community awareness/outreach program; Increased access to services for target population
- Licensed Alcohol and Drug Counselor from State of Oklahoma, Reciprocity in 48 states/7 foreign countries.
Renewed annually upon completion of 24 Continuing Educational Credits, in which 6 must be completed in Ethics.
- Research Proposal submitted RE: Tulsa County Drug Court Program Evaluation. Proposed outcomes study to identify obstacles to effective service delivery. Proposed analyze quantitative data, i.e. outcomes and demographics with in depth case studies of participants who overcome major obstacles to be successful.
- Created 36 item instrument to measure motivation in substance abusing population. Conducting factor analysis and psychometrics for dissertation.
- Presented research paper Motivational Styles of Court Mandated Treatment Clients at International Society for the Study of Subjectivity in St Louis October, MO 2009
- Analyzed literature and current research for Obstacles and Best Practices for Improved Outcomes in Oklahoma Drug Courts. Attended National Drug Court conference in Boston MA June 2009. Compiled data from research clearinghouses, national experts and conducted literature review. Presented report to Tulsa County Drug Court.
- Conducted study of Reaction Times of Methadone Maintenance Patients. Randomly sampled patients at Tulsa clinic. Reaction times measured when participants matched numbered cards to table of numbers in random order. Compared Methadone patient times to times of selected University of Oklahoma students. Gender differences also analyzed.
- Participated in Wayne State University examining extent of illegal use of opiate antagonist Suboxone. Collected data at intake at Tulsa Rightway medical. Analyzed data personally collected pertaining to Tulsa population. Prepared report for Oklahoma Treatment Services.
- Undergraduate Capstone Project entitled Toward a Biopsychosocial Model of Treatment compared outcomes between randomly selected clients at a Tulsa substance abuse facility when given the currently used curriculum and a holistic style of treatment that addressed multiple case management needs while client was constantly evaluated on a continuum of improvement in selected criteria. Received 4th place in State of Oklahoma Research Day at the Capital competition. Identified as only researcher who did not have a grant or research assistants.
- Conducted study of Demographics of Methamphetamine Abusers in Mayes County Oklahoma. Conducted interviews in Mayes County Jail to individuals awaiting trial on methamphetamine charges. Facilitated 100 question survey. Analyzed data for trends in selected criteria.
- Social science research that can be applied to Education, Therapy and Personal Growth
- Substance abuse and Court mandated treatment
- How smell, the sense most closely tied to memory, influences substance abuse relapse
- How can personal motivation be identified, expanded and used for change in behavior
- Addiction to detrimental behaviors as a brain disease
Honors & Awards
- Official Gavel carrier for National Association of Drug Court Professionals cross country motor cycle rally. May 2012
- Transformation Award presented July 2010 from Tulsa County Drug Court
- Outstanding Graduate in Social and Behavioral Sciences Rodgers State University May 2004
- Graduated with honors from Psi Chi at Rogers State University May 2004
- National Association of Drug Court Professionals
- Student Associate member of American Psychological Association
- REMS Society Oklahoma State University
- Oklahoma Drug and Alcohol Professional Counselors Association
- Past Vice President of Rogers State University Chapter of Psi Chi
- Rogers State University School of Liberal Arts Program Review Panel (2010-2011)
- Angel training for RSU SLA faculty January 2011
- Faculty Senator for Psychology, Sociology and Criminal Justice Department
- Advisor for Elementary Education Program
- Committee member, PSCJ Service Learning Committee
- Pilot study member, Early Alert Roster Certification Program
- Committee member BSSS program review
Abstract of project: “Motivational styles of Drug Court Participants” ISSS conference October 2009.
Abstract of project “Toward a Biopsychosocial Model of Treatment” published in Research Day at the Capitol brochure in April 2004.
Kirk, J.M. (2012) Assessing Self Determining Attitudes and Behaviors in Court Mandated Treatment Clients Clients: A psychometric study.
Kirk, J.M. (2010 October) So you want to be a drug counselor? Presented at Mental Wealth Day Conference. Rogers State University, Claremore, OK.
Kirk, J. M. (2010 July) Implementing best practices in diversion Court programs. Presented to Tulsa County Drug Court Providers Conference. Tulsa OK.
Kirk, J. M. (2010 January) Tulsa County Drug Court Program Evaluation. Presented to Tulsa County Advisory Board. Tulsa OK.
Kirk, J. M. (2009 October) Assessing Client motivation Tulsa County Drug Court. Presented to the International Society for the Scientific Study of Subjectivity. St. Louis, Missouri.
Kirk, J. M. (2008 August) Barriers to evidence based interventions: How to improve outcomes. Presented to Tulsa County Drug Court Providers Conference. Tulsa OK.
Kirk, J. M. (2006) May) Evaluating reaction times in Methadone patients.. Presented at University of Oklahoma Research Conference, Tulsa OK.
Kirk, J. M. (2005 October) Examining illegal Suboxone availability. Presented Tulsa Rightway Medical Tulsa OK.
Kirk, J. M. (2004) April) Toward a Biopsychosocial Model of Treatment. Presented at Research Day at the Capitol. Oklahoma City, OK.
Kirk, J. M. (2003) May Demographics of incarcerated methamphetamine abusers in Mayes County Oklahoma. Presented at Rogers State University, Claremore OK.