Ms. Cathy Coomer
Assistant Professor and
General Manager of RSU Radio
Baird Hall, Room 221
Personal Web Page
- M.A., Mass Communication, Public Relations
Pittsburg State University, Pittsburg, KS,
- B.A., Communication
Pittsburg State University, Pittsburg, KS,
Department of Communications
- Taught: Intro to Mass Comm, Speech, Broadcast Equipment & Operation, Audio Practicum, Audio Production, Video Practicum, Video Production, Radio-TV Announcing, Sports Broadcasting, Mass Media Comm, Writing for the Media, News Reporting, Comm Theory, Advanced Broadcast Practicum, Broadcast Internship, Media Sales and Advertising
General Manager, KRSC-FM Real College Radio
- Interpret & assign responsibilities and goals to station manager, part-time student workers, volunteers and students assigned as part of their class work.
- Responsible for yearly capital equipment requests, equipment research & recommendation, hiring of engineers for transmitter & equipment maintenance, annual budget & underwriting in terms of producing new programming, coverage of sporting events and overall sales.
- Work with Student Activities & PR dept. to promote events & become the "voice” of RSU and city of Claremore. Advise RSU Student Broadcasting Association chapter.
Instructor, Department of Communications
Rogers State University, Claremore, OK
- Taught: Introduction to Mass Communication, Speech Communication, Broadcast Equipment & Operation, Audio Practicum, Audio Production, Video Practicum, Video Production, Radio-TV Announcing, Sports Broadcasting, Mass Media Communications, Writing for the Media, News Reporting, Communication Theory, Advanced Broadcast Practicum, Broadcast Internship.
Assistant Professor & Director of Broadcasting,
Department of Communications
Pittsburg State University Pittsburg, KS
- Developed curriculum/lecture materials for broadcast production-emphasis courses. Supervised operation of broadcasting lab. Supervised student-produced programs and taped replays of sporting events that air on campus cable channel. Advised Student Association of Broadcasters chapter, student activities and student internships. Established underwriting campaign for sporting events. Courses taught: Freshman Experience, Introduction to Audio & Video Production, Speech Communication, Broadcast Writing, Broadcast Announcing, Audio Production,
Promotional Video, Television Production, Media Buying & Selling,
Television Production II, Corporate Video Production, Broadcasting Internship.
Promotion Assistant, American Idol Season 4
American Idol Productions, FOX Interactive Media
- Hired for two days to work with AI crew & Season 4 runner-up Carrie Underwood from Checotah, OK to assist with her guest appearances, hometown parade, fan signings and FOX promotion for show.
- Apr-Jul 2004,
Production Assistant, The Contender (Reality Based Television)
DreamWorks Television LLC, NBC Television, Mark Burnett Productions
- Hired in Tulsa, OK as Production Asst. to enroll & verify status of each of the boxers’ status. Also worked with Frank Stallone & trainers in videotaping boxing matches & interviews. Continue working with group & traveled to Tunica, MS and Seattle, WA for additional city tryouts during summer 2004.
Executive Assistant/Publicist/Marketing & Distribution, Forever Brothers
Pittsburg, KS/Tulsa, OK
- Produced by PZ Production (Pittsburg, KS) in association with Darkwood Productions (Muskogee, OK) & Dolphin Bay Films (Tulsa, OK). Responsible for writing all press releases, setting up media interviews, photo shoots, media kits for press conferences & premieres.
- Aug-Dec 2003,
Global Equipment Corporation, Joplin, MO
- Creating & implementing campaigns promoting both image and new product line through web brochures, advertisements and trade journal promotion for screen printing manufacturer as well as establishing distributor relations and customer base for future sales & growth of company.
Concert Coordinator/Publicity & Promotions
Spend an Evening with Peter Z, City of Pittsburg & Little Balkans Day Celebration
- Working with other co-promoter, organized all media promotion of event, worked with designer on posters & theme of concert, set up trade for tuxedo, floral arrangements, etc. Assisted with underwriting for non-profit organization & students’ tuition costs.
- Jun-Sep 1998,
Publicity & Promotions
PSU Summer Theatre Program,
- Working with department chair & directors, coordinated all media promotion for each production including selling underwriting from area vendors in order to produce individual programs for each play.
Promotions/Programming Mgr/Public Service Director, KOAM TV
Produced and created all promotions through on-air broadcast, cable, radio, newspaper & billboards as well as public service for non-profit organizations. Coordinated, produced and served as liaison for all station-sponsored events. Managed promotions and programming budgets.
Served as creative consultant during initial client conference. Wrote and produced all copy/storyboard ideas for client approval. Served as producer/director during shoot & post-production.
News Producer, KOAM TV
News Producer, KYTV
Met daily with news director, assignment editor & on-air talent to format 6pm & 10pm story rundown. Coordinated all on-air graphics during post-production with technical director. Produced two 30-minute newscasts overseeing all key personnel including visual, audio, cameras & master control.
Reporter/Producer, KOAM TV
Wrote, edited and shot daily news stories including spot news, features, educational & political close-ups. Produced weekend 10 pm newscasts.
- 1995-2002, Secretary/Board of Director/Grant Contractor/Fundraiser Coordinator,
ARNOSK (AIDS Resource Network of Southeast Kansas)
Honors & Awards
- Grand Jury Award for Best Narrative Film & Best Film Production Design, 2003, Forever Brothers (full-feature independent film)
- Script-2-Screen Grand Jury Award, 2002, Fighter’s Story (short student film)
- Barebones International Script-2-Screen Film Festival
- Nominated for PSU College of Arts & Sciences Excellence in Teaching award by departmental chair 2000
- PI KAPPA ALPHA "Teacher of the Year” award 2001
- ADDY Awards
- 15 Awards of Merit for station self-promotion, public service & specialty advertising, Joplin Area Ad Club 1989-1995
- Nominated "Woman of the Year”, Joplin March of Dimes 1992 & 1993
- Received "Best Newscast” producer award, United Press International 1985
- Awarded "Outstanding Young Women in America” 1985; Theta Alpha Phi Honor Fraternity 1982
- Presented panel discussion on "How to Keep Small Broadcasting Programs afloat when the Economy Tanks” along with two other colleagues from Baldwin State University and Pittsburg State University at the 2011 BEA National Convention in Las Vegas, NV.
- Attended summer workshop & received certification in Apple Final Cut Pro 5 Editing as part of on-going continuing education 2007
- Attended 2005 summer workshop & became certified in Grant Writing
- Produced promotional video on Olympic runner Billy Mills as part of Invited Speakers Series to university 2005
- Coordinated RSU Radio in conjunction with the RSU dorms "Thanks for Giving” canned food drive prior to Thanksgiving break 2005. Collected over 5,000 canned goods that were distributed to two non-profit food banks in area.
- Wrote & produced press releases and promotional announcements for these annual musical events: JamBand, MLK Week of Awareness, D-Fest, Tulsa Underground Festival, as well as the RSU Annual Scholarship Auction, Claremore’s annual Christmas parade, 4th of July, Humbug Days, Home & Garden Show and the Bluegrass & Chili Festival.
- Researched & co-wrote user-friendly "Welcome Guide” for all new in-coming PSU faculty & administration (revised yearly) 1999-2003
- Presented paper & video on "Setting up a Sports Broadcasting Program” to KS Speech Communication Association Annual Conference in Salina, KS 2001
- Organize annual PSU/KKOW FM Radio "Career Day” where students sell, write & produce commercials for on-air. All money raised used to purchase equipment & award yearly KKOW scholarship (1996- present)
- Attendance of yearly KS Association of Broadcasters Student Seminar & Career Fair with students
- Attended Academy of Television Arts & Sciences College Awards in Los Angeles with student to receive regional award 1999
- Produced awards presentation video for annual PSU Classified Employees of the Year banquet 1997-2000
- Cast as "Aunt Rose” in department’s production of play "Tony and Tina’s Wedding” 1999.
- Oklahoma Broadcast Education Association Vice President 2011-2012
- OBEA Student Competition Chair 2009 – 2011
- RSU Representative Oklahoma Association of Broadcasters 2004-present
- Oklahoma Broadcast Education Association member 2004-present
- Rogers Co., OK Big Brothers/Big Sisters Media Representative 2004-2005
- Broadcast Education Association member 1997-2003
- RSU Advisor Women in Communication 2006-present
- RSU Student Broadcasting Association 2004-present
- Kansas Association of Broadcasters affiliate member 1997-2003
- PSU Alumni Association 1982-present
- PSU Advisor Student Broadcasting Association 1997-2003
- Pittsburg Community Theatre Board of Directors 2002-2003
- Women in Communication 1982-1989
- Alpha Sigma Alpha social sorority 1978-1982
- PEO chapter member 1975-present