Rogers State University Alumni Association



Academics Home

Academic Information

Academic Schools


Course Description

Degrees Offered

      - Bachelors

      - Associates

Academic Enrichment Program

Financial Aid

Tuition and Fee Information

General Information

Governing Boards

Student Affairs/Support

Student Success and Retention

Faculty Credentials


Academic Forgiveness Policy

Academic Forgiveness Policy

Reporting Academic Standing

Retention Standards and Requirements  

Each student’s transcript will list the student’s current retention/graduation GPA and will denote each semester when a student is placed on academic probation or is academically suspended from the institution.

Academic Forgiveness Provisions

Circumstances may justify a student being able to recover from academic problems in ways which do not forever jeopardize his/her academic standing. The student’s academic transcript, however, should be a full and accurate reflection of the facts of the student’s academic life. Therefore, in situations that warrant academic forgiveness, the transcript will reflect all courses in which a student was enrolled and in which grades were earned, with the academic forgiveness provisions reflected in such matters as how the retention/graduation GPA is calculated. Specifically, for those students receiving academic forgiveness by repeating courses or through academic reprieve, the transcript will reflect the retention/graduation GPA excluding forgiven courses/semesters. The transcript will also note the cumulative GPA, which includes all attempted regularly graded course work.

Academic forgiveness may be warranted for currently enrolled undergraduate students in three specific circumstances:


For pedagogical reasons, a student will be allowed to repeat a course and count only the second grade earned in the calculation of the retention/graduation GPA under the prescribed circumstances listed below;


There may be extraordinary situations in which a student has done poorly in up to two semesters due to extenuating circumstances that, in the judgment of the appropriate institutional officials, warrant excluding grades from those semesters in calculating the student’s retention/graduation GPA; and


A student may be returning to college after an extended absence and/or under circumstances that warrant a fresh academic start.

Students may seek academic forgiveness utilizing the following institutional procedures. A student may receive no more than one academic reprieve in his/her academic career. The repeated courses provision may be utilized independent of reprieve within the limits prescribed below. All institutions conform to the “repeated courses” forgiveness provision.

Repeated Courses

All State System institutions are required to offer the repeated courses provision.

A Student shall have the prerogative to repeat courses and have only the second grade earned, even if it is lower than the first grade, count in the calculation of the retention/graduation GPA, up to a maximum of four (4) courses but not to exceed 18 hours, in the courses in which the original grade earned was a “D” or “F.” Both attempts shall be recorded on the transcript with the earned grade for each listed in the semester earned. The EXPLANATION OF GRADES section of the transcript will note that only the second grade earned is used in the calculation of the retention/graduation GPA. If a student repeats an individual course more than once, all grades earned, with the exception of the first, are used to calculate the retention/graduation GPA. Students repeating courses above the first four courses or 18 credit hours of “Ds” or Fs” repeated may do so with the original grade and repeat grades averaged.

It is the student’s responsibility to notify the Office of Enrollment Management when a repeated course situation occurs, whether the original course or the repeated course was taken at Rogers State University or any other institution. If either course (original or repeated) was taken at another institution, it may be necessary for the student to obtain verification from the appropriate Rogers State University academic department that the original course and the repeated course are in fact deemed to be equivalent courses. To comply with the policy, the student should request a “Repeated Course Notification” form from the Office of Enrollment Management. This form should be filed with the Registrar as soon as a repeated course situation occurs.

Academic Reprieve

In accordance with the policies of the Oklahoma State Regents for Higher Education and Rogers State University, a student may request an Academic Reprieve if he/she meets the following guidelines:


 The student must be currently enrolled as an undergraduate.



 At least three years must have elapsed between the period in which the grades being requested reprieved were earned and the reprieve request.



Prior to requesting the academic reprieve, the student must have earned a GPA of 2.00 or higher with no grade lower than a C in all regularly graded coursework (a minimum of 12 hours) excluding activity and performance courses. This course work may have been completed at any accredited higher education institution.



The request may be for one semester/term or two consecutive semesters/terms. If the reprieve is awarded, all grades and hours during the enrollment period are included. If the student’s request is for two consecutive semesters, the institution may choose to reprieve only one semester.



 The student must petition for consideration of Academic Reprieve according to institutional policy.



All courses remain on the student’s transcript, but are not calculated in the student’s retention/graduation GPA. Course work with a passing grade included in a reprieved semester may be used to demonstrate competency in the subject matter. However, the course work may not be used to fulfill credit hour requirements.



The student may not receive more than one academic reprieve during his/her academic career.



Academic reprieves will not be granted for students who have received a bachelor or higher degree from any institution.